Friday, July 23, 2010

Martins Cove and Mt. Rushmore

As we were driving through Wyoming we just happened to pass by Martins Cove, so we decided to stop. It's a very powerful place and I am so happy that we got to experience it. Here we are in our spacious mini van, packed with tons of snacks, pillows, huge suite cases, toys, and portable DVD player, thinking how tough this LONG drive is, and then we are completely humbled. It is amazing to think of the pioneers who sacrificed everything even their lives so that they could get to a place where they could worship without being persecuted for their beliefs. What strong testimonies they had to give up almost everything they had and travel thousands of miles using these small handcarts pulling their allowed 17lbs per person. I am amazed by them and so thankful for them. Thank you Pioneers!



Mason pulling the hand cart.


Alex having his turn.









Our next stop on our way home was Mt Rushmore.


I had come before when I was a teenager but I don't really remember it. So I was glad we could stop and see it.



It is a sight worth seeing. What a crazy idea to carve faces into the mountains.




This is the sculpture that they made to give them guidance for the real thing. I thought the area around there was really fun. It reminded me of the old fashion wild west towns. I want to go back someday when the kids are older and spend more time there.



1 comment:

  1. I remember for conferece years ago it seems lol but me and ty actually pulled those hand carts!! I thought I was gonna die!! Def makes me thankful for all the things I have!! I'm so glad to have seen you guys!! Miss you guys already!! Ha bear lake was fun by the way!! And am super excited for school to start next week.. but nervous at the same time!! Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete